As our climate shifts, stewards of Lake Michigan forests are beginning to focus their experience and creativity on ways to respond to changing conditions.
This workshop will:
• Provide information on the current and anticipated effects of climate change on Wisconsin forests relevant to reforestation, and migratory bird habitat improvement efforts.• Outline adaptation concepts and strategies in the context of sustainable forest and land management.
• Identify actions that enhance the ability of forests and other ecosystems to adapt to changing conditions.• Evaluate site-specific climate challenges/opportunities, identify potential adaptation actions to address your site objectives, and discuss climate change projections for individual tree species.
This workshop will bring together natural resource managers from across the Lakeshore to dig into the effects of climate change on forests and forest carbon; develop strategies for adapting our forests to climate change; and work toward shared goals of diverse, healthy forests and migratory bird habitats.
8:30 Registration & Coffee
9:00 Welcome. Jim Kettler. Lakeshore Natural Resource Partnership.
9:15 The Lake Michigan Coastal Resiliency Project. Stantec Consulting Services, Inc.
9:45 Climate Change Effects on Forest Ecosystems. Danielle Shannon, Michigan Tech. University, Northern Institute of Applied Climate Science (NIACS).
10:30 Strategies and approaches for managing forests for climate change and forest-carbon Todd Ontl, Michigan Tech. University, Northern Institute of Applied Climate Science (NIACS).
11:30 Case study and discussion
12:00 Lunch (provided)
1:00 Activity: Adaptation – Applying a climate change filter to our project plans. Danielle Shannon, Michigan Tech. University, Northern Institute of Applied Climate Science (NIACS). Find information helpful to this session:
- Tree Species Habitat Suitability Projections (NIACS)
- Northern Wisconsin Forest Ecosystem Vulnerability Assessment (USFS, NIACS)
- Northern Wisconsin Climate Change Forest Field Guide (NIACS)
2:45 Closing comments.
*Contact Danielle with any questions
This workshop is organized by the LNRP, Stantec Consulting, Northern Institute of Applied Climate Science, USDA Northern Forests Climate Hub.
This workshop is supported by the WCS-Climate Adaptation Fund.