This resource list is specific to this region and provides both comprehensive and topic-specific information related to climate change, ecosystem vulnerability, and adaptation. A list of the major science organizations and partners within the region is also provided, and we encourage you to connect with them should you require further resources.
The resources listed below include a variety of published reports, including the 2018 National Climate Change Assessment and various ecosystem-based vulnerability assessments produced by partners in this region. Be sure to also familiarize yourself with the Explore Climate Impacts tool found at AdaptationWorkbook.org. There you can explore short but detailed summaries of how climate change is expected to impact or further impact your region.
Before diving into climate change resources, if you feel like you need a refresher on climate change basics consider accessing our education modules (~30 min long). The modules feature information on Climate 101, Climate effects on Forests, Climate Adaptation, and Forest-Carbon management
Some selected resources:
Portals and informational warehouses
- Ontario Climate Data Portal An open source climate change information portal with a variety of data, maps, figures and reports.
- ClimateData.ca Platform to access a variety of high-resolution Canadian climate data.
- Indigenous Climate Hubs A climate change adaptation hub for Indigenous peoples across Canada to share their climate change experiences, stories, and monitoring results.
- Canada’s Changing Climate Report - 2019
- Canada’s Marine Coasts in a Changing Climate - 2016
- Anticipating the Effects of Climate Change for Canada’s Boreal Forest Ecosystem
More climate change resources...
- Climate Atlas of Canada
- Great Lakes Regional Climate Change Maps
- Canadian Centre for Climate Services
- Government of Canada Historical and Current Climate Data
- Canadian Wildland Fire Information System ‘Datamart’
- Urban Forests: A Climate Adaptation Guide
- Species-specific Climate Profile Models & Maps
- Forest Vulnerability Assessment Tool
- Canada’s National Forest Inventory - Data & Tools
- Conforgen - Conservation of Genetic Resources in Canada
Adaptation Resources and Examples
- Canadian Boreal Forest Conservation Framework
- Vulnerability of Canada’s Tree Species to Climate Change and Management Options for Adaptation: An Overview for Policy Makers and Practitioners
- Adapting Forestry Programs for Climate Change - 2018
- The Living Planet Report Canada (2020)
- Canadian Wildlife Federation - Reports and Papers
- Key Biodiversity Areas Canada
Culture & Recreation
- Climate Change in Indigenous and Northern Communities
- Climate Risk Institute (formerly Ontario Centre for Climate Impacts and Adaptation Resources - OCCIAR)
- Thirty Years of Assessing the Impacts of Climate Change on Outdoor Recreation and Tourism in Canada
- Carbon Budget Model of the Canadian Forest Sector (CBM-CFS3)
- Canadian Forests’ Carbon Emissions and Removals Data
- Carbon in Canada’s Boreal Forest - a synthesis
- Northern Peatlands in Canada - An Enormous Carbon Storehouse (StoryMap)
Science organizations in this region
- Boreal Conservation
- Center for Indigenous Environmental Resources
- Wildlife Conservation Society
- Ontario Conservation Authorities
- Canadian Parks and Wilderness Society
Did we forget a resource? Please let us know! Contact Danielle.